Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Student Teaching: Tips & Tricks



Student Teaching is over and I have learned so much that I want to share some of the things I learned with you!
  1. Be prepared: for me this included a binder with tons of sections including; Calendar, Tips & Tricks, Lesson Plans, To Do, Common Core Standards, Team Meetings and that was most of them. I have the pictures below and I got the backgrounds from Teachers Pay Teachers for free! 




My lessons section ended up being my notes from the lessons I taught and any free stuff I got from my teacher. 


I made this team meeting notes section after I finished student teaching but it would have been a big help if I had used it all semester. 

2. Eat healthy: Most teachers already do this and you will notice that right away. I say this because you will run out of energy fast if you don't eat healthy and drink lots of water. You will also snack through out the day so make sure they are healthy snacks!

3. You will get sick: I Never used to get sick and I lost my voice twice this past fall semester! I had a cough and runny nose for weeks. It was not fun...so take your vitamins! I thought it couldn't happen to me and it did...

4. Use Planbook!: I love planbook so much and it keeps your lesson plans and ideas for years! So you can look back later to see what you did. You get one FREE month and then it just costs a $1 every month after that! So cheap and I used it all the time. 


5. Keep a Diary: I actually did not write in mine a lot but when I had a rough day it was good to get my thoughts down on paper. I did keep an extra notebook that I kept TONS of notes in. 

6. Attitude is Everything: Go in with a good attitude everyday and watch how your class changes. Kids pick up on your attitude and how you are feeling. It's amazing and I don't know how they do it but if you are having a bad day, the kids will pick up on it. 

7. That one teacher: There will always be that 1 teacher who has a bad attitude...that person will be negative and grouchy and you most likely won't know why. DON'T talk about this person to anyone at the school. Write it down in a notebook or talk to 1 trusted friend. 

8. HAVE FUN: This experience fly's by so fast! I could not believe when my last day came and I had to leave my kids (Yes, they will become your kids and you will care about them so much!). Don't worry about the little things along the way and enjoy yourself. Be open to new things and write down things you like and things you could improve on. 

I have tons of other teaching thoughts and such so there will be more to come. Here are a few other blogs and sites that have Great student teaching advice! 


I hope these few extra tips help you out! Let me know if you have any advice I should add! 

~Alysse Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment