Wednesday, April 29, 2015

How You Can Be the Best...Substitute?

I have been subbing since December and there are many things I have learned about myself, the educational system and most of all how to keep students focused! Here is a list of tips, things to do in the classroom and overall helpful ideas!

P.S. They are not in any particular order :)

  1. Let the kids know things will be different today: When I first started subbing I did not tell the students this and about every second I had a kid coming up to me saying, "Well that isn't how our teacher does it" or "We don't do it that way." ect... Tell them things will be different and that is okay because you are following the teachers plans that he/she left for you! 
  2. Go over the classroom rules: I think that some students think sub's don't know the rules so they think that they can do whatever they want. Ask the students their classroom rules and regulations so it reminds them of the cans/cannots of the classroom as well as lets you know the rules. 
  3. Let the kids know what is important to you: Meaning that if something bothers you (students not raising their hands and blurting out) than let the kids know that it is important that they don't do this. "Something that is important to me is that you raise your hand and I will come and help you." It's that easy. 
  4. Stick with the morning routine: When I come into the classroom in the morning I greet all students at the door. I don't even tell them my name! Yup. I make sure they do their morning routine. This lets them know that this day is starting like all the others. You can introduce yourself later when all students are in the room and working quietly. 
  5. Introduce yourself to the other teachers in that grade and ask for help: Don't be afraid to ask for help! Get your name out there and talk to the other teachers. You don't know how easy this is and it really helps people get to know you. I try to do this as much as possible and it has made an impact on who knows my name. 
  6. Leave a note for the teacher: and be honest! It's okay to be honest (about the kid who was mean all day) but do it in a way that is kind. I always let the teacher know what happened with the good students and the not so good students. Start you note with the positives and add the not so good stuff then more positives! 
That's all I got so far, but let me know if you have any other advice or good tips for substitutes! 

~Alysse Hobbs

No comments:

Post a Comment